Questions To Ask Your Surgeon
Laser eye surgery is a big decision, and it’s important to ask questions so you feel comfortable with the procedure, the recovery and the outcomes.
Before undergoing any medical procedure, you should know what to expect. Your eye surgeon should be willing and able to answer all of your questions. This will help you decide if you have chosen the right surgeon, and it will help you prepare for your procedure.
Here are some questions you should ask your surgeon:
- How long have you been performing refractive surgery?
- How many refractive procedures have you performed?
- Are you board certified?
- Will I see the same doctor for the entire process – before, during, and after surgery?
- What other types of staff may be involved in my care?
- What type of technology do you use?
- Can I talk with other patients about their experiences?
- How much vision improvement can I expect?
- Will I need follow-up procedures in order to see clearly?
- Will I still need to wear glasses or contacts after refractive surgery?
- What are my chances of achieving 20/20 vision?
- What percentage of your patients achieve 20/20 vision or better after refractive surgery?
- What percentage of your patients require enhancement procedures in order to see their best?
Risks and complications
- What are the risks and potential complications of my procedure?
- Is there anything in my eye examination or medical history that makes me a higher risk case?
- What percentage of your patients has experienced complications after refractive procedures?
Evaluation and procedure
- How long before my evaluation will I need to stop wearing my contacts?
- What is the best treatment option for me?
- What are my alternatives?
- How long before surgery will I need to stop wearing contacts?
- Will the procedure be painful?
- Will I be able to drive home after my LASIK or PRK procedure?
- What should I expect during recovery?
- How long before I see results?
- When can I return to my normal activities?
- What do I need to do to care for my eyes after surgery?
- If I live far away from your office, can I see my regular eye doctor for follow-up visits?
- How much will my procedure cost?
- Does this include follow-up visits and/or enhancement procedures?
- Are there any additional fees?
- Do you offer financing plans?
At Western Laser Eye Associates, we value quality over quantity. Dr. Anderson Penno performs a thorough, personal evaluation of every patient, free of charge. She can also take care of your general ophthalmology needs.