Dr. Anderson Penno has been performing laser eye surgery since 1996, and has done several thousand surgeries including PRK, LASIK, and Intralase on a variety of laser types. This extensive experience provides the knowledge and experience to choose the best technology for her patients, and to customize every procedure for the best possible results. Experienced ophthalmic technicians receive specialized training on the WaveScan Wavefront mapping and VISX S4IR excimer laser systems.
VISX STAR S4 IR Excimer Laser System
We use the VISX S4IR Excimer laser with custom wavefront capacity, iris recognition/registration, and ActivTrack to bring you Advanced CustomVue Individualized Laser Vision Correction. More physicians in the United States choose VISX lasers to perform laser vision correction on their patients than all other lasers combined. VISX has led the industry for years and continues to provide innovative advances that have been improving laser vision correction outcomes and ensuring patient satisfaction.
VISX S4IR works with wavefront technology to create a precise map of your eyes, giving you the best quality vision possible and the greatest chance of achieving 20/20 vision or better. This is important because every eye is unique. Even your eyes are slightly different from each other. This precise mapping avoids the risk of losing visual quality posed by refractive surgery using older technology.
Advanced CustomVue boasts:
- The broadest range of FDA-approved indications and more than 94% of eligible candidates benefiting from the Advanced CustomVue procedure.
- CustomVue has earned FDA approval to treat nearsightedness (mild to severe), farsightedness, and all forms of astigmatism.
- Precise eye tracking during laser treatment so patient eye movement does not affect accuracy.
- Iris recognition uses iris maps from the Wavescan Wavefront mapping system to recognize each individual iris and adjust for eye rotation for improved accuracy.
- Studies have shown that approximately 91% of patients treated with CustomVue were as satisfied or more satisfied than they were before the procedure wearing glasses or contact lenses.
- Studies have also shown that there has been high participant satisfaction with night vision after the CustomVue procedure.
- Many surgeons agree that the new level of measurement accuracy possible with the VISX system makes the procedure the most effective laser vision correction procedure for the broadest range of vision imperfections.
What is so fascinating about the Advanced CustomVue laser vision correction procedure is that it combines a number of different technology innovations into one procedure, individually customized to each eye.
WaveScan WaveFront Mapping System.
This laser system represents the most advanced laser technology available today. Integrating data collected by the WaveScan WaveFront mapping system, the STAR S4 IR utilizes VISX Iris Registration and other VISX technologies to provide advanced precision and enhanced safety to our patients in our Calgary, Alberta practice. The procedure is not affected by the patient’s eye movement during treatment and minimizes correction to only those areas of cornea that truly require reshaping.
Who is a candidate?
If you are 18 years of age or older and currently wear glasses or contact lenses to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, or mixed astigmatism, you may benefit from this innovative procedure and technology. You will most likely not need glasses after the procedure, but individual results do vary and those over 40 will need reading glasses. At the time of your consultation, Dr. Anderson Penno can determine if you would benefit from Custom Wavefront PRK.